Your Ad Here

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Hannibal Rising

Oh dear. What a way to kick off the movie reviews, with a trashy mainstream film that's not even recent. Well, this is what you get when you stack up your library fines and they bar you from borrowing until you pay up. That said, let's get to it.

I picked Hannibal Rising out of my dusty, mountainous pile of cheap unwatched DVDs on a whim and stuck it into my DVD player fully expecting to hate it. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I did not end up hating up. I didn't end up actually liking it either but at least... you know. It's not all that bad.

Hannibal Rising, in case you didn't know, is based on the first (in the fictional chronology) of Thomas Harris' tetralogy of serial killer novels and the first one to focus on the character of Hannibal Lecter, who in the the other books is a peripheral character, though easily the most memorable.

Anyway, why am I rambling on backstorily about this as if you, dear reader, have been living under a rock or something? On to the film!

Again, I was fully expecting to hate it. The 'hype-feel' that I got from Hannibal Rising was kind of similar to the one surrounding Memoirs Of A Geisha (which I absolutely despised) and the very color of the film convinced me I was on the road to hell.

But, as it continued, I realised that the editing was actually pretty solid, without any random and weird jumps in continuity and also that the treatment of the film served to create a pretty enjoyable atmosphere. So what went wrong? Ha. Ha. Ha.

THE ACTING.

Hahahahaa. Oh my god. The acting was hilarious. Imagine forcing every single person involved in the film to speak with a fake Russian accent. Umm... yeah I guess they forced everyone in the film to speak with a fake Russian accent. Except Gong Li who is barely intelligible through her fake Japanese schmaltz. It's insane. And it's actually not as bad as having the editing screw up because the plot, with it's air of self-righteous seriousness and themes of 'WHAT IS BARBARISM'?? is MADE TO BE CAMPY. And the acting totally kicks everything in the pants and brings the whole edifice crashing down on everyone's heads.

So, in a nutshell. I didn't hate Hannibal Rising because the acting sucked balls. END.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home