Your Ad Here

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chipster Potato Chips

If you've known me long enough, you obviously know that I love potato chips and that my favourite potato chips are Jack N Jill Salsa Chilli flavour, which I can eat bags of, in lieu of lunch/dinner/meal whatever. In fact, one of the few lingering memories of secondary school for me was of buying a big bag of that and loudly declaring to my friend that lunch was stupid, who needs lunch when you have potato chips? They are the only potato chips that have both enough salt and spiciness for me. Jack N Jill Salsa Chilli potato chips is truly an exquisite blend of artificial flavourings, sodium and MSG. Beautiful.

When that brand is not available though, I go for Calbee Hot & Spicy potato chips, which are artificially coloured a fetching shade of crimson. Although the spiciness of Calbee surpasses Jack N Jill, there was always something missing from the flavour. It felt like it was lacking something that made junk-food fun. That twang on the tongue caused by, probably, too much sodium. As such, although I enjoyed it, it was always treated as second-class. An inferior substitute.

I have flirted with various others, having short but intense love-affairs with Lay's KC Sauce Barbecue-flavoured chips and Kettle's Honey Djion (which was, admittedly, a subset of my passion for all things Honey Mustard), but these pale in comparison to what I have just discovered. My new-found love is no schoolgirl crush.

I am referring, of course, to the new line of potato chips launched by Twisties (love their curry and tomato flavours BTW) called (inanely) Chipster. In particular, their Hot & Spicy flavour which manages to capture all my favourite notes of the Jack N Jill and Calbee versions (and add a twist of Lay's and Kettle's sweetness) and remake it into something excitingly new but wonderfully familiar. It is actually spicier than the fever-inducing Calbees but balances it with a little tomato that really goes a long way. It's so wonderful that even though a not-so-large bag costs the way-too-much price of 1.95 at 7/11, it doesn't seem a wasted purchase to me at all and will probably become the new fixture at my bedside, the essential supper-snack.

Chipster potato chips. A masterpiece of Junk Food engineering.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasabi Green Peas is wheres it at

November 18, 2007 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home